Its densely forested hills, untouched coastline and golden sand beaches make Stewart Island a haven for native marine and bird life.
Vivid dawn and twilight hues give rise to the islands Maori name, Rukiura – land of the glowing skies.
Discover New Zealand’s third and southernmost island on-board ‘Fiordland Jewel’, a 24 m purpose-built ship, ideal for exploring the bays and inlets.
Each day will bring something new – rambles along deserted beaches, marine life encounters, kayaking, guided walks through lush rainforest, cruises in the stabicraft or if you prefer, the opportunity to relax on deck amidst the scenes and moods that is the island.
Don’t miss out – we have very limited number of cabins.
Depart Auckland on Air New Zealand. Arrive Invercargill mid-morning.
Transfer to your central accommodation. This afternoon is yours to perhaps walk around the Botanic Gardens, visit the Tuatarium or the Burt Munro Motorcycle Mecca at E Hayes and Sons at Bill Richardsons Transport World.
Dinner is included tonight.
This morning return to the airport for the 20 minute flight to Oban. On arrival, board the MV Fiordland Jewel for a luxurious seven day cruise.
Enjoy lunch on board. Spend the afternoon at Patterson Inlet, formed by post Glaciation flooding 12,000 – 16,000 years ago.
Spend the morning exploring Ulva Island in Patterson Inlet. This bird and plant sanctuary was declared rat free in 1997 and many birds have been relocated to the island and are now flourishing. The yellow eyed penguin uses the island for breeding sites. In the afternoon, visit the historic Norwegian whaling station in Prices Inlet with the opportunity to kayak. Cruise onto Port Adventure where oysters were first harvested in the 1800’s.
Cruise along the rocky coast with drowned river valleys. On arrival there maybe time for a kayak or walk before dinner.
Explore this large sheltered harbour on the south east coast. Its inlets, caves and bays have many safe and sheltered anchorages. It was first chartered by William Stewart in 1809. More walks and kayaking are planned.
Today return to Oban along the west or east coast – skippers decision!
Tonight enjoy your final dinner on board
Disembark after breakfast.
This morning travel around by mini coach with local guides sharing the knowledge of the island. Photo stops abound and see Patterson Inlet from Observation Point.
Enjoy afternoon in Oban. Our final night is spent at the South Seas Hotel.
After breakfast, transfer to the airport for the flight to Invercargill and then onto Auckland.
•Return Air New Zealand Flights Auckland – Invercargill
• Return Flight to Stewart Island
• One night Invercargill
• One night Oban
• Coach transfers as outlined
• Six nights onboard the ‘Fiordland Jewel’
• All meals, tea and coffee while on board Fiordland Jewel
• Envolu toiletries onboard
• Landings and guided walks
• Visits to historic sites
• Tender craft and eight kayaks for exploring the coastline
• Shimano electric fishing reels
• All meals as outlined
• Pukekohe Travel escort subject to 15 persons travelling
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
|Governor Suite (1 only ) 20sqm||$9,292||NA|
|Captain Cook (4 only) 10sqm||$8,542||$14,920|
|Endeavour (2 only) 10sqm||$8,542||NA|
|Bunk Room (1 only) 10sqm||$7,931||$13,475|
*This is a cash or direct debit price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Travel Insurance –Please ask us for a quote
• Items of a personal nature
• A non-refundable deposit of $1,000 per person will secure a place on this tour
• Full payment is due no later than 18 July 2022
• Bookings after 18 July 2022 will require full payment
• Deposit – non-refundable
• After 118 July 2022 - no refund
• All cancellation charges are on a per-person basis
We strongly advise all participants take out suitable travel Insurance to cover cancellation costs. Please ask for a quote.
• Please note there is NO cell phone coverage during the cruise
• It is required that you bring hiking boots or gumboots which are ideal for stomping around the beaches and bush
• Slippers / house shoes are ideal on-board
To ensure the tour is enjoyable for you, a reasonable standard of fitness and mobility is required as climbing on and off boats can be demanding
The ‘Fiordland Jewel’ Launched in 2016, the 24 m, three deck catamaran has a high quality fit-out. The Fiordland Jewel was designed and built by the owner and skipper Rob Swale
• Max 18 passengers
• Latest safety equipment
• Open bridge policy
• No laundry on board
• Helicopeter pad
• Top deck hot tub
• ROV (Remote Operating Vehicle) for underwater viewing from the comfort of the boat lounge.
• A stabi-craft to transfer from boat to shore.
• The skipper and crew are all trained professionals with an intimate knowledge of the region.
• A well provisioned galley – chef cooked meals
• Meals are plated service
• Morning afternoon and pre dinner snacks are provided
• There is a well-stocked, licensed bar, the Fiordland Jewel is not licensed for BYO.
• There are natural history books available
• Board games and playing cards are also on board.
All travelers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health Vaccine Record Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination.
Covid-19 Tour Disruption
• If this tour is cancelled/postponed due to Covid-19 Government travel restrictions Pukekohe Travel reserves the right, in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $500 per person.
• If self isolation restrictions are imposed by the Ministry of Health whilst on tour, Pukekohe Travel accepts no liability for any additional costs incurred.
• Pukekohe Travel will assist in every way possible to ensure any additional travel arrangements required are made with the minimal amount of disruption and in the most cost-effective manner.
• You cannot begin or continue to travel if you have received a positive Covid-19 test in the last 14 days.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or ask our tour consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change