Cape york peninsula is rugged, remote and one of the last unspoilt frontiers in australia and still remains a wilderness Only accessible in the dry season by 4wd vehicles. This new departure is a real “one off” - not only are we providing the opportunity to travel between Cairns and the raw, not-easilyaccessible northern tip of the Cape Peninsula. Reaching the tip of Cape York and looking over the myriad of exotic and unspoilt islands, azure waters and reef will be awe inspiring experience. July is a premium time to be in this area as there is a drop in temperatures.
This group is limited to one sole chartered vehicle and the operator has 20 years of experience on this route. You will travel in their own specially esigned comfortable 4 x 4 vehicle that copes with some offroad that you will experience getting to some places.
This new tour is sure to sell quickly and seats are strictly limited.
An early departure on Air New Zealand for a flight via Sydney to Cairns. Arrive mid afternoon and transfer to a centrallylocated
hotel. Afternoon to relax before a Welcome Dinner.
A free morning and a late breakfast. Early afternoon enjoy a tour of Cairns city. Dinner is included tonight.
Today we experience the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and the scenic Kuranda Railway which takes you over Australia’s World
Heritage-listed tropical rainforest canopy and deep into the forest. The famous Kuranda Scenic Railway was built over 120
years ago and winds its way through the tropical mountain ranges between Kuranda and Cairns. There will be time to explore Kuranda, known as the ‘Village in the Rainforest’ which includes markets, cafés, restaurants and galleries. Return to hotel late afternoon with a free evening to explore.
Travel by 4WD vehicles on the Cape Tribulation route via Trinity Beach, Palm Cove, and Port Douglas. Cape Tribulation is a
headland within the Daintree National Park.
The tar seal ends on the way to Wajal Wajal and the coastal drive along the Bloomfield River is an unforgettable experience full
of spectacular views, creek crossings, secluded beaches, a rainforest archway, majestic plants, unexpected wildlife and
history. Stop en-route for lunch. Arrive Cooktown for a one night stay.
An early start as we head into the outback and visit Split Rock - Aboriginal Rock Art. Continue on to Lakefield National Park
(conditions permitting) – a haven for the many birds and animals native to the area. Lagoons, billabongs and wide river lakes
are home to both fresh and salt water crocodiles. In the afternoon arrive at the Old Musgrave Telegraph Station for an overnight
stay (en-suite facilities).
Continue north to the historic frontier gold town of Coen and the picturesque Archer River. Travel through the wilderness with all
its varied landscapes to the bauxite mining town of Weipa. Enjoy a spectacular sunset over the Gulf of Carpentaria. Accommodation has en-suite facilities.
Time in the morning to explore the township of Weipa or the opportunity of a Wildlife Eco River Cruise viewing the wildlife in its natural habitat. After lunch head for our overnight accommodation with en-suite facilities at a ‘True Blue’ Aussie Cattle Station.
An early start as we travel along part of the Old Telegraph Track to arrive at Fruit Bat Falls for lunch. Relax, swim and enjoy this
unique area and the enchanting waterfall. Cross the Jardine River to arrive at Cape York and our accommodation at Seisia.
Seisia is ideally-located, being within walking distance from the Seisia Wharf, thedeparture point for the ferry to Thursday
Island and a famous fishing spot. Our accommodation has en-suite facilities.
An unforgettable day as you stand at the very top of mainland Australia. Visit Somerset (road conditions permitting) once
the home of the legendary Jardine family and government outpost established in 1864. Lunch at palm-fringed Anchorage
Beach which overlooks the Albany Passage. Relax and enjoy a walk along the beach before returning to Seisia.
An early morning by ferry to nearby Thursday Island. On
arrival, enjoy a guided tour of the island and the picturesque
harbour (once home to the pearl luggers from yesteryear). Continue to Horn Island for a flight to Cairns, arriving late afternoon. Transfer to your hotel in Cairns with a free evening to relax.
A day at leisure or to take any of the available optional tours. Your hotel room is booked until our departure to go to our farewell dinner before returning to the airport for the late night flight to Auckland.
Arrive Auckland early morning
Tuesday 12 Cairns to Port Douglas
This morning transfer to Port Douglas for four nights at the Ramada Inn.
Wednesday 13 – Saturday 17 Port Douglas
Four days to relax and enjoy this resort town with its boutique shops, restaurants and a great vibe. A tour to the worlds oldest surviving rainforest – The DainTree
– perhaps by rental car and stop at Silky Oaks and dine under the canopy of the forest overlooking the crystal clear waters of Mossman Gorge.
Visit the Port Douglas Markets or take a cruise to the Great Barrier Reef.
Saturday 17 Port Douglas – Auckland
Today there is no rush as the flight to Auckland departs at midnight.
Sunday 18 Auckland
Arrive Auckland early morning
Price per person
Twin $ 598
Single $ 942
• Return economy flights with Air New Zealand Auckland – Sydney - Cairns //
Cairns – Auckland
• Domestic flight Horn Island - Cairns
• 11 nights’ accommodation
• Scenic tour in Cairns
• 4WD travel Cairns to Cooktown
• Tour of Horn Island and entry to Torres Strait Museum
• Ferry ride Mainland - Thursday Island - Horn Island
• Wildlife River Cruise in Weipa
• Transfers as specified
• Meals as specified
• Sightseeing as specified
• Entrance fees as specified
• Welcome and Farewell Dinner
• Pukekohe Travel Tour Escort (subject to 20 persons travelling)
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Items of a personal nature
• Travel Insurance (please ask us for a quote)
• Airline and airport taxes (approx $262)
• Meals not specified
• A non-refundable deposit of $800 per person will secure a place on the tour
• Full payment is due no later than 22 April 2022
• From the date of booking to 22 April 2022 – loss of deposit
• After 22 April 2022 – no refund
• Travel insurance is essential - please ask for a quote.
• A current passport is required.
• No visa is required for New Zealand Passport holders
• All other passport holders – please ask
• Temperatures are around 31˚c with a low of 17˚c
How Will You Travel?
There will be a maximum of 22 persons on the 24 seater, fully air-conditioned 4WD Isuzu tour vehicle with panoramic windows, road cam, TV and on-board toilet facilities.
The vehicles are designed for the outback, giving you the opportunity to enjoy Cape York and the Australian Outback in comfort.
The vehicles are also equipped with a portable satellite phone, PA system, first aid kits and off-road equipment.
Luggage space is very limited and should not exceed 10 kg.
Please restrict your luggage to one small soft bag (300 x 300 x 700mm) and a day pack per person.
NO bags with wheels or hard suitcases.
Any excess luggage can be stored at the hotel in Cairns.
Accommodation on 4WD Tour
Ranges from hotel, motel and lodge-style to basic twin share rooms with an en-suite bathroom. The accommodation is the best available in this remote area of Australia.
Meals on 4WD Tour
Continental breakfasts daily.
Lunches are picnics of salads, meat andcheese to build your own.
Dinners are main course and dessert
Clothing on 4WD
Casual gear is a must with a minimal change of clothing. T shirts, shorts, jeans, swim gear, swim towel, rubber-soled sandals or joggers, a warm jumper or
jacket, hat, torch, insect repellent. A track suit is most useful.
Temperatures Max Min
Cairns 26˚c 17 ˚c
Weipa 31 ˚c 19 ˚c
Thursday Island 27 ˚c 23 ˚c
• The Australian Dollar – ATMs available in major towns
Cape York and Gulf Savannah tours require a good level of health and fitness. Clients must be independently mobile with the
ability to walk unaided on uneven ground and step up into the 4WD vehicles.
All travelers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health International Vaccine Record
Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination.
• If this tour is cancelled/postponed due to Covid-19 Government travel restrictions Pukekohe Travel reserves the right, in addition to any supplier imposed
amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $500 per person.
• If New Zealand and or Australian Borders are closed as a result of Government imposed restrictions and/or, quarantine / self isolation travel restrictions are
imposed on New Zealanders returning home from overseas, Pukekohe Travel accepts no liability for any additional costs incurred.
• These are not limited to but includes any cancellation or amendment fees or border quarantine fees imposed.
• Pukekohe Travel will assist in every way possible to ensure any additional travel arrangements required are made with the minimal amount of disruption and in the most cost-effective manner.
• You cannot begin or continue to travel if you have received a positive Covid-19 test in the last 14 days.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website
www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or ask our tour
consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change