Step back in time into New Zealand’s rural past and join our cycling adventure on the picturesque Central Otago Rail Trail. The route follows the old Maniatoto rail line from Middlemarch to Clyde.
We begin with either one of the world’s great train trips on the spectacular Taieri Gorge (if in operation), or by coach as the alternative. The Otago Rail Trail is not about the cycling, but rather exploring the many small towns, meeting the locals and enjoying the small cafés and hotels along the way. There will be no expectation of riding together all day – expect frequent stops for photos, to admire the views and long lunches. The longest ride is 56km in a day.
We are familiar with most of the accommodation – it is all clean and comfortable; some more luxurious than others – some rooms have en suites, others share with another room.
Meet at our central city hotel by 5pm. Enjoy dinner and meet your fellow cyclists.
This morning is free in Dunedin. Meet to join the (train or coach) to Middlemarch. On arrival in Middlemarch check in to the hotel, tonight all rooms are shared facilities.then walk to the Cycle Shop to be fitted for your bike. Time to ride your bike in preparation for tomorrow.
Dinner tonight is available at the hotel.
Today is a very gentle steady uphill ride. A long lunch at Hyde is a pleasant experience – sitting on the deck overlooking the trail with cyclists coming and going. This evening enjoy the pub at Waipiata and dinner in their restaurant.
Our travel today is by mini van to explore the area. First stop Ranfurly for a familiarisation (you will be there tomorrow on your bike), then it is on to the town of Naseby, now famous for its indoor curling rink and the opportunity for a game. Lunch is at the Danseys Pass Hotel with time to look around this lovely old coach inn before a return to Waipiata via another route with time to relax.
Danseys Pass, a classic unsealed alpine pass road through the foothills of the Kakanui Mountains originally built for the McLean brothers – owners of large sheep runs
This morning is a short easy ride into Ranfurly the main service centre for the Maniototo region. Many buildings in Ranfurly have been restored to their former glory, take time to wander, browse, have a coffee a visit to the Art Deco Gallery is very worthwhile. Lunch here is a definite option then another easy ride to Wedderburn which is but a dot on the highway now – our accommodation overlooks the classic Maniototo landscape. It is a short walk to the local pub for dinner.
This morning we continue the uphill ride for a few kilometres then it’s all down-hill into the Ida Valley. Oturehua is an excellent break on the ride where there are several places to have lunch. Two places worth exploring are a working original general store and Hayes Engineering Works. At Lauder, the end of this ‘great ride’ you arrive at the Old School House – our overnight accommodation.
Today starts with the opportunity to explore Omakau and Ophir (known as the coldest place in NZ) from there continue to Chatto Creek a great lunch break stop. This afternoon you begin to realise the population is on the increase – you can explore or by pass Alexandra before cycling on to historic Clyde and accommodation in the Dunston Hotel. Your bikes will be collected tonight.
After breakfast we depart by mini bus for Queenstown with time to sightsee enroute. Join the afternoon flight home.
• 7 nights accommodation on twin share basis
• Coach or train journey – Dunedin to Middlemarch
• Meals - seven breakfasts, one lunch, two dinners
• Hire and maintenance of cycle
• Transport of one piece of luggage per day to next night’s accommodation - Max 15kg per person
• Mini bus transfer to Queenstown
• One day mini bus travel in the Maniototo
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
|upplement for E-Bike||$330|
*This is a cash or cheque price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Items of a personal nature
• Curling Fees
• Cycle Trail Passport
• Airfares to Dunedin and return from Queenstown
• A non-refundable deposit of $200 per person secures a place on this tour
• Final payment to be made by 15 January 2021
We recommend travel insurance for our clients. For our quote please contact the office.
• The accommodation is varied and comfortable. At Middlemarch all rooms have shared facilities. You may have another night of shared facilities depending on room configurations.
• You do not need to be ultra-fit. However, to thoroughly enjoy this tour it is an advantage to have spent some time on a bike. The surface of the rail trail is smooth gravel with a gentle gradient, once riding you adjust quite quickly.
• If you have not ridden a bike recently we highly recommend you “get back on the bike”.
• We expect you will arrive on tour fit, healthy and ready to ride.
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change