This itinerary includes seven days to explore the South-West corner, one of Western Australia’s most popular areas. Following a day tour of Perth and the Port of Fremantle we travel south for the next four days. Highlights include the renowned Margaret River wine region, a forest of the famed Karri trees and a cross country visit to the southern coast amongst the sand dunes. All this before a four-day, three-night crossing of Australia’s Nullarbor Plains from Perth to Sydney on the iconic Indian Pacific Train. Here you experience a journey full of contrasts that includes ‘off train’ excursions which add real value to a memorable cross continent experience. Why not join us on another of our Australian adventures.
Depart on Air New Zealand mid-day to arrive in Perth late afternoon. Transfer to inner-city hotel with remainder of afternoon free.
Today’s city tour of Perth includes the famous port of Fremantle, a walk in Kings Park and a beachfront drive. Remainder of the day free to explore at your leisure. Welcome dinner tonight.
Travel south with an inland detour that provides a good cross section of rural life. At a crossroads in the middle of nowhere is Gnomesville, a prolific collection of the legendary creatures. Continue to Donnybrook, the ‘Apple Capital’ and stone fruit orchards for lunch and onto the coastal city of Busselton with its 1.8km jetty jutting out into the Indian Ocean. Later arrive in Margaret River for a two night stay
Begin the day with a drive to Cape Leeuwin, the most south / westerly point of Australia where the Indian and Southern Oceans meet. Visit the lighthouse and later the Mammoth Caves, a large limestone cavern where a guided tour is included. Continue to a winery for tasting and lunch. Return to Margaret River.
Margaret River - located in the far southwest corner of Western Australia is one of the most geographically isolated wine regions in the world. But this isolation is no barrier to the development of a region that is highly regarded as a producer of powerful, yet elegant Cabernet Sauvignon. Today there are just over 5,000 hectares under vine and over 150 wine producers in the region - made up predominately of smaller niche-size wine producers. Collectively they produce a massive 20% of Australia’s premium wine. We visit one of these.
Today travel inland to the town of Nannup, the home of Cambray Cheese. Lunch in a truffle growing area and onto the former sawmilling town of Pemberton where we board a train for a bush ride along an old timber railway line. Spend the next two nights in a lakeside resort in a Karri Forest.
Pemberton, set amongst rich agricultural land and Karri forests won the Top Tourism Town for populations less than 5000.
Today drive through the tall Karri and Jarrah (eucalyptus) trees to enjoy a 4WD experience into the coastal sand dunes and later a peaceful river cruise to the ocean. Return to our lakeside accommodation.
After a leisurely start we travel north to Perth with an afternoon and evening at your leisure to explore the Western Australian Capital.
After breakfast, transfer to the railway station to board ‘Indian Pacific’ train. Depart Perth, travelling in ‘Gold Class’ with time to settle into your comfortable cabin – home for the next four days / three nights.
Cook – Time here to stretch your legs and explore the old railway town of Cook, once a thriving community boasting a school, swimming pool, general store and housing to accommodate a population of 200. Now virtually abandoned, a self-guided map will allow you to walk and explore. Depart Cook early afternoon with lunch served on-board.
On arrival into Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, you have the choice of a walking tour, a behind-the-scenes tour of the world-famous Adelaide Oval, or a coach tour of the city sights. Or simply take your own time to explore the multi-cultural atmosphere with many river-walking trails and impressive Art Gallery’s. This evening we stop at Broken Hill known as Australia’s silver capital. This once-thriving mining town is set to a backdrop of mining tailings, a colourful main street and historic buildings.
Wake up to the iconic Blue Mountains and see the majestic Three Sisters at Echo Point and the breathtaking views at Jamison Valley before arriving in Sydney. Transfer to your hotel for a one-night stay. Enjoy a Farewell Dinner tonight.
After breakfast transfer to the airport for a midday flight, arriving in Auckland early evening.
Please ask us if you would like to extend your stay in Sydney.
• Air Zealand economy flights Auckland – Perth // Sydney - Auckland
• Three night’s accommodation in Perth and two nights at the Karri Resort, Pemberton and in Margaret River
• Perth City Sights Tour
• Guided Tour of the Mammoth Caves
• Cambray Cheese Tasting
• Margaret River Vineyard Lunch
• Pemberton Coastal Experience Tour
• Rail journey Perth to Sydney on board Indian Pacific Train in Gold Class
• Gold Class on Indian Pacific including all meals and drinks
• Off-train experiences included in Kalgoorlie, Rawlinna, Cook, Adelaide, Broken Hill and the Blue Mountains
• One night’s accommodation Sydney
• Transfers as specified
• Meals as specified
• Welcome Dinner Perth
• Farewell Dinner in Sydney
• Pukekohe Travel escort - subject to 15 persons travelling
|ESTIMATED Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
|Premium Economy Class Upgrade||From $1050|
|Business Class Upgrade||From $1,899|
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 1.5% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Items of a personal nature
• Travel Insurance (please ask us for a quote)
• Airline and airport taxes (approx $270)
• Items not specified
• A non-refundable deposit of $1,200 per person will secure a place on the tour
• Full payment is due no later than 14 June 2024
• From the date of booking to 14 June 2024– loss of deposit
• After 14 June 2024 – no refund
Travel Insurance is essential. Please feel free to contact us for a quote.
• A current passport is required, valid six months beyond date of travel
• No visa is required for New Zealand Passport holders
• All other passport holders – please ask
• The Australian Dollar – ATMs available in major towns
Checked-in luggage is not accessible during the train journey. Pack your soft cabin bag with the essentials for the three nights. Smart casual is recommended for the Queen Adelaide Restaurant on board the train.
Daytime – comfortable touring clothes, good walking shoes. Evening – smart casual for hotels and on board the train
Perth 20˚c 9 ˚c
Adealide 18 ˚c 8 ˚c
Sydney 19 ˚c 11 ˚c
A good standard of fitness is required for this tour. The train is unstable while travelling, therefore you need to be firm of foot. We except you will arrive on tour fit, healthy and ready to travel.
By embarking on this transcontinental journey, you’ll be following in the footsteps of those who have dared to venture beyond the city limits – the legendary adventurers, goldrush prospectors and bush pioneers who forged their lives in Australia’s spectacular yet unforgiving interior.
• The Outback Explorer Lounge is the train’s centre of activity
• Gold Service Guests dine in the classically-appointed Queen Adelaide Restaurant
• Gold Twin - a comfortable sleeper cabin features private en-suite and upper and lower berths that convert to a threeseater lounge by day
• Gold Single - a compact sleeper cabin features a bed that converts to a seat by day and shared shower/toilet facilities located at the end of the carriage
Gold Class Service Features
• All-inclusive dining. A regionally-inspired menu paired with a selection of local wines
• All-inclusive Australian wines, beers, base spirits and non-alcoholic beverages
• All-inclusive off-train excursions in Kalgoorlie, Rawlinna, Cook, Adelaide, Broken Hill and the Blue Mountains
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or please ask our tour consultant for a copy
Please click here to download a copy of the booking form
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change