CAPE YORK PENINSULA IS RUGGED, REMOTE AND ONE OF THE LAST UNSPOILT FRONTIERS IN AUSTRALIA AND STILL REMAINS A WILDERNESS ONLY ACCESSIBLE IN THE DRY SEASON BY 4WD VEHICLES. This new departure is a real “one off” - not only are we providing the opportunity to travel between Cairns and the raw, not-easilyaccessible northern tip of the Cape Peninsula. Reaching the tip of Cape York and looking over the myriad of exotic and unspoilt islands, azure waters and reef will be awe inspiring experience. July is a premium time to be in this area as there is a drop in temperatures. This group is limited to one sole chartered vehicle and the operator has 20 years of experience on this route. You will travel in their own specially designed comfortable 4 x 4 vehicle that copes with some offroad that you will experience getting to some places. This new tour is sure to sell quickly and seats are strictly limited.
An early departure on Air New Zealand for a flight to Cairns. Arrive mid afternoon and transfer to a centrally-located hotel. Afternoon to relax before a Welcome Dinner.
A free morning and a late breakfast. Early afternoon enjoy a tour of Cairns City.
Today we experience the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and the scenic Kuranda Railway which takes you over Australia’s World Heritage-listed tropical rainforest canopy and deep into the forest. The famous Kuranda Scenic Railway was built over 120 years ago and winds its way through the tropical mountain ranges between Kuranda and Cairns. There will be time to explore Kuranda, known as the ‘Village in the Rainforest’ which includes markets, cafés, restaurants and galleries. Return to hotel late afternoon with a free evening to explore.
Travel by 4WD vehicles north along the scenic Captain Cook Highway, through the World Heritage listed Daintree Rainforest to Cape Tribulation, where the rainforest meets the reef. Then making our way along the jungle shrouded Bloomfield Track (road conditions permitted), stopping off at the unique Lion’s Den Hotel and the mysterious Black Mountain, arriving at the old gold port of Cooktown, where we visit Captain Cooks Landing. Stop en-route for lunch. Arrive Cooktown for a one-night stay.
This morning we continue on to Lakefield National Park (conditions permitting) – a haven for the many birds and animals native to the area. Lagoons, billabongs and wide river lakes are home to both fresh and salt water crocodiles. In the afternoon arrive at the Old Musgrave Telegraph Station for an overnight stay
Continue north to the historic frontier gold town of Coen and the picturesque Archer River. Travel through the wilderness with all its varied landscapes to the bauxite mining town of Weipa. Enjoy a spectacular sunset over the Gulf of Carpentaria.
Time in the morning to explore the township of Weipa or the opportunity of a Wildlife Eco River Cruise viewing the wildlife in its natural habitat. After lunch head for our overnight accommodation at a ‘True Blue’ Aussie Cattle Station.
An early start as we travel along part of the Old Telegraph Track to arrive at Fruit Bat Falls for lunch. Relax, swim and enjoy this unique area and the enchanting waterfall. Cross the Jardine River to arrive at Cape York and our accommodation at Seisia. Seisia is ideally-located, being within walking distance from the Seisia Wharf, the departure point for the ferry to Thursday Island and a famous fishing spot.
An unforgettable day as you stand at the very top of mainland Australia. Visit Somerset (road conditions permitting) once the home of the legendary Jardine family and government outpost established in 1864. Lunch at palm-fringed Anchorage Beach which overlooks the Albany Passage. Relax and enjoy a walk along the beach before returning to Seisia
An early morning by ferry to nearby Thursday Island. On arrival, enjoy a guided tour of the island and the picturesque harbour (once home to the pearl luggers from yesteryear). Continue to Horn Island for a flight to Cairns, arriving late afternoon. Transfer to your hotel in Cairns with a free evening to relax.
After breakfast we travel to the airport for our flight home.
Saturday 29 Cairns to Port Douglas
This morning transfer to Port Douglas for four nights at the Ramada Inn.
Sunday 30 – Tuesday 01 Port Douglas
Four days to relax and emjoy this resort town with its boutique shops, restaurants and a great vibe. A tour to the worlds oldest survving raiforest – The DainTree – perhaps by rental car and stop at Silky Oaks and dine under the canopy of the forest overlooking the crystal clear waters of Mossman Gorge. Visit the Port Douglas Markets or take a cruise to the Great Barrier Reef.
Wednesday 02 Port Douglas – Auckland
After breakfast transfer to the airport for your flight home.
ESTIMATED* Price per person
Twin $700 Single $1,100
• Return economy flights with Air New Zealand Auckland – Cairns // Cairns – Auckland
• Domestic flight Horn Island - Cairns
• 10 nights’ accommodation
• Scenic tour in Cairns
• 4WD travel Cairns to Cooktown
• Tour of Horn Island and entry to Torres Strait Museum
• Ferry ride Mainland - Thursday Island - Horn Island
• Wildlife River Cruise in Weipa
• Transfers as specified
• Meals as specified
• Sightseeing as specified
• Entrance fees as specified
• Welcome and Farewell Dinner
• Pukekohe Travel Tour Escort (subject to 20 persons travelling)
|ESTIMATED Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Items of a personal nature
• Travel Insurance (please ask us for a quote)
• Airline and airport taxes (approx $265)
• Items not specified
• A non-refundable deposit of $800 per person will secure a place on the tour
• Full payment is due no later than 14 April 2023
• From the date of booking to 14 April 2023– loss of deposit
• After 14 April 2023 – no refund
• Travel insurance is essential - please ask for a quote.
Currency • The Australian Dollar – ATMs available in major towns
How Will You Travel?
There will be a maximum of 22 persons on the 24 seater, fully air-conditioned 4WD Isuzu tour vehicle with panoramic windows, road cam, TV and on-board toilet facilities. The vehicles are designed for the outback, giving you the opportunity to enjoy Cape York and the Australian Outback in comfort. The vehicles are also equipped with a portable satellite phone, PA system, first aid kits and off-road equipment.
Luggage space is very limited and should not exceed 10 kg. Please restrict your luggage to one small soft bag (300 x 300 x 700mm) and a day pack per person. NO bags with wheels or hard suitcases. Any excess luggage can be stored at the hotel in Cairns.
Accommodation on 4WD Tour
Ranges from hotel, motel and lodge-style to basic twin share rooms with an en-suite bathroom. The accommodation is the best available in this remote area of Australia.
Meals on 4WD Tour
Continental breakfasts daily. Lunches are picnics of salads, meat and cheese to build your own. Dinners are main course and dessert.
Temperatures Max Min
Cairns 28˚c 20 ˚c
Weipa 30 ˚c 20 ˚c
Thursday Island 28 ˚c 25 ˚c
Clothing on 4WD
Casual gear is a must with a minimal change of clothing. T shirts, shorts, jeans, swim gear, swim towel, rubber-soled sandals or joggers, a warm jumper or jacket, hat, torch, insect repellent. A track suit is most useful
• A current passport is required, valid six months beyond date of travel
• No visa is required for New Zealand Passport holders
• All other passport holders – please ask
• International Vaccine passport
• Australian Travel Declaration
• New Zealand Travel Declaration
Cape York and Gulf Savannah tours require a good level of health and fitness. Clients must be independently mobile with the ability to walk unaided on uneven ground and step up into the 4WD vehicles.
All travelers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health International Vaccine Record Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination.
• If this tour is cancelled/postponed due to Covid-19 Government travel restrictions Pukekohe Travel reserves the right, in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $500 per person.
• If New Zealand and or Australian Borders are closed as a result of Government imposed restrictions and/or, quarantine / self isolation travel restrictions are imposed on New Zealanders returning home from overseas, Pukekohe Travel accepts no liability for any additional costs incurred.
• These are not limited to but includes any cancellation or amendment fees or border quarantine fees imposed.
• Pukekohe Travel will assist in every way possible to ensure any additional travel arrangements required are made with the minimal amount of disruption and in the most cost-effective manner.
• You cannot begin or continue to travel if you have received a positive Covid-19 test in the last 14 days
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/ termsandconditions or ask our tour consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change