This exclusive five-day tour will travel to the Art Deco Festival in Napier by Rail and coach.
Become absorbed in the Napier story from the devastating earthquake of 1931 and how the city rebuilt itself to become the Art Deco capital of New Zealand.
Shows, music, dance, vintage car parades, fashion, dining experiences, picnics, walks and so much more await….or simply soak up the atmosphere.
Sit back and relax as you travel by train through Waikato farmland, the hills of the King Country and the ascent of the famous Raurimu Spiral to the Central Plateau and Palmerston North, before travelling east by coach via Oruawharo Homestead & Gardens to Napier.
Accommodation is in a central waterfront Napier hotel where all guest rooms have their own private facilities and all breakfasts are included.
Our tour escort ensures your five day tour is relaxing, fun and memorable.
This tour is sure to sell quickly. Contact us now to register your interest.
Board the ‘Northern Explorer Train’ at The Strand in downtown Auckland or at any other regular station on the main trunk line for the daylight adventure through lush rolling hills to Hamilton, Otorohanga and Te Kuiti. Among today’s highlights are the circular climb up the famous engineering feat – the Raurimu Spiral to the Central Plateau and Tongariro National Park with spectacular views of Mt Ruapehu. Continue on to Ohakune, Waiouru and alongside the Rangitikei River to Palmerston North. Enjoy a welcome dinner at our centrally located hotel.
After breakfast, we board our coach from Palmerston North, travel over the Saddle Road, past Te Apiti Wind Farm to Oruawharo Homestead and Gardens for lunch. Then continue through southern Hawkes Bay countryside to Art Deco Napier for a three-night stay.
A day to soak up the 1930s atmosphere in the heart of the city. With more than 250 events including entertainment, outdoor concerts, vintage car parades, fashion shows, multiple dining experiences and even Gatsby picnics. A special emphasis on costumes and music brings the city to life and numerous overseas and local artists will entertain as you wander at your leisure.
*Optional Silver Slipper Ball
The Saturday night Silver Slipper Ball is a chance to glam up like it was the 1930’s and partake in the live music and dancing of the era. An event not to be missed. Ticket price estimated at $125 per person.
This morning we visit the famous Hawkes Bay Farmers Market. Explore the fabulous array of stall holders selling fresh berries and fruit; locally raised meats; artisan jams and preserves, freshly baked breads and pastries; cheeses, sweet treats and more. Then we travel to a local orchard for lunch and a behind the scenes experience. The afternoon is yours to soak up the Art Deco atmosphere.
After a leisurely breakfast transfer to the airport for your flight home to Auckland or other major destinations.
• Northern Explorer train Auckland – Palmerston North
• Return flight Napier - Auckland
• Exclusive coach travel Palmerston North – Napier in comfortable airconditioned coaches with panoramic windows
• Vineyard lunch and behind the scenes experience
• Hawkes Bay Farmers Market
• Four nights hotel accommodation
• Cooked breakfasts daily
• Three lunches and two dinners
• Morning tea and lunch served on board the train
• Most luggage handling on tour
• Tour Escorts
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Travel insurance
• Items of a personal nature
• A non-refundable deposit of $400 per person will secure a place on the tour.
• FULL PAYMENT is due no later than 10 December 2021.
• Bookings made after 10 December 2021 will require full payment.
• Deposit – non-refundable.
• After 10 December 2021 – no refund.
• All cancellation charges are on a per-person basis.
If the tour is cancelled due to covid 19 Government travel restrictions and a refund is available, Pukekohe Travel reserves the right in addition to any supplier imposed fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $150 per person.
We strongly advise all participants to take out suitable travel insurance to cover cancellation costs.
Please ask us for a quote.
Accommodation – 4 Star
In Napier we have reserved ocean view waterfront rooms in a very central location. Please note all en-suites include a shower over the bath. There are no walk-in showers available.
Frequently Asked Questions
Travelling alone? Don’t hesitate to book if you are on your own. Although we are unable to guarantee twin share accommodation for participants travelling individually, we will do our utmost to match suitable participants in share accommodation to avoid the single room supplement. For those who prefer, we have rooms for sole use.
At times, entering and exiting the train can be very demanding for those with limited mobility. To ensure the tour is enjoyable for the whole group, a good standard of fitness is required with the ability to walk 400m unaided. Mobility frames are not practical or permitted.
• All travellers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health Vaccine Record Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination. It is important that the date of vaccination of your final dose is at least 14 days before the tour departure date.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or ask our tour
consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change