Join Jack Hobbs, curator of the Auckland Botanical Gardens and one of our regular tour escorts at the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show.
This is held every year in March at the Royal Exhibition Building & Carlton Gardens and is the biggest annual flower and garden show in the Southern Hemisphere and rated among the top five flower and garden shows in the world. Gardening enthusiasts can get inspired by the landscape designers, progressive florists, emerging design talent and DIY specialists.
The floral, outdoor and landscaping competitions with over 200 exhibitors.
Visits to renowned gardens at Cloudehill, Heronswood and Dandenong have been included - making this a memorable experience.
Morning departure on Air NZ to arrive in Melbourne midday. Transfer to your inner city apartment for the next five nights. Welcome Dinner tonight.
This morning we travel to the beautiful Mornington Peninsula where Heronswood Gardens showcases the best flowers and plants for Australian conditions. The gardens change throughout the year and peak in summer with wonderful planting combinations of summer perennials and heirloom vegetables. We continue this afternoon onto Cranbourne Botanical Gardens which specialises in Australian Native plants including heathlands, wetlands, woodlands as well as providing habitat for native birds, mammals and reptiles. We return to Melbourne with an evening at leisure.
The show is a “must see’ for garden lovers and those who are looking forward to emerging lifestyle trends. The show gardens will be as varied as the imagination. The Royal Exhibition Building houses the bold floral displays and all will be entered for the Floral Design Awards. A variety of cafés, the shopping precinct and the Heirloom Vegetable display will ensure a day of variety and wonder.
Today we visit Cloudehill, a stunning cool climate garden spread over 5 acres. From formal clipped hedges and topiary, through to the comparatively relaxed bulb meadows. This afternoon we continue onto The Dandenong Ranges Botanic Gardens with breath taking views over the Yarra Valley, the garden features important collections of rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias and more, in a setting of native and exotic trees. Return to Melbourne with time at leisure.
An opportunity for a second day visit to the Melbourne Flower Show or follow your own interests in the city. Enjoy a Farewell Dinner tonight.
After breakfast, transfer to the airport for your flight home
*Please note the Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne is on this weekend so if you wish to extend your stay please ask us as soon as possible.
• Economy Air New Zealand ‘The Works” flights Auckland – Melbourne / Melbourne – Auckland
• Transfers as per itinerary
• Five night’s accommodation in central Melbourne
• Entrance to the Royal Melbourne Flower Show and exhibitions (Two Day Pass)
• Entrance to the Cloudehill, Cranbourne, Heronswood and Dandenong Gardens
• Breakfast daily
• Welcome & Farewell Dinners
• Jack Hobbs as tour escort (subject to 15 people travelling)
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
|Studio - 1 left||
One Bedroom Apartment - 1 left
|Premium Economy Class Upgrade||on request|
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 1.5% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Items of a personal nature
• Travel Insurance is essential (please ask us for a quote)
• Airline and airport taxes (approx $255)
• Items not specified
• A non-refundable deposit of $500 per person will secure a place on the tour
• Full payment is due no later than 26 January 2024
• From the date of booking to 26 January 2024– loss of deposit
• After 26 January 2024 – no refund
• We advise all participants to take out suitable insurance to travel
• Please ask us for a quote
Melbourne – High 24˚C - Low 14˚c
• Australian Dollars
• A current passport is required, valid six months beyond date of travel - check
• No visa is required for New Zealand Passport holders - check
• All other passport holders – please ask
• A good standard of fitness is required and people should be independently mobile
• Please arrive on tour healthy, fit and ready to travel.
Jack has been Manager of the Auckland Botanic Gardens since 1997 and President of the Royal NZ Institute of Horticulture from 2001 until 2011. He is also well known as a television presenter on gardening programmes and has written many articles on plants and gardening. His personable approach, an obvious enthusiasm for plants and gardens and a love of travel make him an ideal member of our team.
He has lead tours to China, Canada, Vietnam, UK Gardens, Britain, Europe and South Africa and on the local scene to the Chatham Islands. He lives in Mauku, with wife Sandra along with too many horses.
Jack is also looking forward to escorting our new Italian Gardens Tour in May 2024.
For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or please ask our tour consultant for a copy
• If this tour is cancelled/postponed due to Covid-19 Government travel restrictions Pukekohe Travel reserves the right, in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $500 per person.
• Pukekohe Travel will assist in every way possible but accepts no liability for any additional costs incurred.
• You cannot begin or continue to travel if you have received a positive Covid-19 test in the last 7 days.
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change