The Spectacular Southern Alps will stand alongside us as we travel through the heart of the South Island. Azure lakes, mountain passes, braided rivers and the schist plains of Central Otago await. Mixed with iconic accommodation at Terrace Downs and Mt Cook this is a tour not to be missed.
Plus we include an exclusive charter train journey along the spectacular coastline from Dunedin to Christchurch. Vista’s of secluded golden sand beaches, rolling farmland and coastal plains await.
Today we fly with Air New Zealand to Christchurch. Travel by luxury coach to Terrace Downs in the Rakaia River Valley. Check into your luxury suites. This evening enjoy a welcome dinner at the resort.
Terrace Downs Resort is one of the prestigious high country resorts with magnificent views of the Southern Alps. Activities include tennis, the Rakaia River walk, the Washpen Falls Walk, plus an 18 hole golf course that will suit novices to pros!
Today travel to the Ashburton Lakes-a magical area lying between the Rangitata and Rakia rivers. A stop at Mt Sunday before a visit to Erewhon Station, a 35,000 acre merino, cattle, deer and Clydesdale stud. Enjoy a wagon ride pulled by Clydesdales plus a picnic lunch. Continue to Lake Coleridge with a walk through the Hart Aboretum that brings you to the classic Lake Coleridge power station. We return to the resort for dinner.
After breakfast we travel to Geraldine. There will be time to explore this interesting town, then it is onto Tekapo, where we see the Church of the Good Shepherd. Finally a drive along the shore of Lake Pukaki with the Ben Ohau ranges on one side. There will be time to settle in at The Hermitage, Mt Cook, before dinner.
A day to participate in optional activities and / or simply enjoy the area at your leisure.
Where science meets entertainment for an unrivalled 360 degree cinematic experience in New Zealand’s first full dome, digital Planetarium.
Sir Edmond Hillary Alpine Centre
Showcasing the history of the Mount Cook region through transport, climbing, and pioneer extraordinaire, Sir Edmund Hillary himself.
Mt Cook Day Walks and the Tasman Glacier 4WD Unimog are also excelllent optional activites.
We continue this morning south via Tarras (of Shrek fame) to Cardrona Valley. Here enjoy lunch at the historic Cardrona Hotel before continuing to your lakeside hotel. Dinner included tonight.
Today we travel through the timeless dry brown landscapes and ancient mountains of Central Otago. We travel through Cromwell and onto Clyde to view the impressive dam. Our journey continues via Alexandra, Ophir (coldest town in NZ) then a lunch stop at the rural art deco town of Ranfurly. Continue onto Dunedin for a two night stay.
This morning enjoy a sightseeing tour of the ‘Edinburgh of the South’ including Olveston House, Signal Hill, the world’s steepest street, Botanical Gardens, University and the Forsyth Barr Sports stadium. The afternoon is free to explore or join our optional tour to the Royal Albatross Centre.
Optional Tour Royal Albatross Centre $55 per person
Albatrosses are the world’s largest seabirds. Dunedin’s Taiaroa Head is the only mainland Royal Albatross breeding colony in the world and is a great day out from Dunedin (group numbers are limited).
After breakfast we head north on our exclusive charter train along the scenic coastal rail route through Palmerston, Oamaru, Timaru and the across the plains via Ashburton to arrive in Christchurch late afternoon.
This morning enjoy a walking tour of rebuilt Christchurch, with the balance of the day free. Enjoy a farewell dinner tonight.
Transfer to the airport for return flights to Auckland or other home destinations (please ask)
Saturday 26 Christchurch - Greymouth - Christchurch
Today board the Tranz Alpine train to traverse the spectacular Southern Alps to the West Coast. Cross the Canterbury Plains through Darfield and climb the mountain range including a stop at Arthurs Pass. Our descent takes us through Otira and the renowned rain forests and wetlands to Greymouth. After some time to explore this West Coast town rejoin the train for your return journey to Christchurch.
Sunday 27 Christchurch – Auckland B
Return flight to Auckland or other destinations (please ask)
Trans Alpine Extension Cost
Twin Share $537
Transfers not included
• Air New Zealand flights Auckland – Christchurch return (other destinations – please ask)
• 9 nights hotel accommodation
• Exclusive Charter Train journey from Dunedin to Christchurch
• Transport by luxury coach with panoramic windows
• Daily cooked breakfast
• Three lunches
• Eight dinners
• All sightseeing and entrance fees as specified
• A full day exploring the Ashburton Lakes region with our own local guide
• A visit to Erowhon Station including a Clydesdale drawn wagon ride and demonstration
• Dunedin City Sights Experience Tour
• Walking tour of Christchurch City
• Pukekohe Travel escort subject to minimum 15 persons
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Cancellation insurance
• Items of a personal nature
• Items not specified
• A non-refundable deposit of $400 per person is required to secure your place on the tour.
• Full payment is due not later than 01 February 2022
• Bookings after 01 February 2022 – full payment at time of booking
• Deposit – non refundable
• Full payment – non-refundable
• All cancellation charges are on a per-person basis
• No refund can be made once tour is underway.
• If this tour is cancelled due to Covid 19 government travel restrictions, and if a refund is available, Pukekohe Travel reserves the right in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $350 per person
• We strongly recommend participants to take out suitable insurance to cover cancellation costs. Please ask for quote.
To ensure the tour is enjoyable for the whole group, a good standard of fitness is required and clients should be able to walk comfortably for at least 500 metres.
Walking frames and wheelchairs are not practical or permitted.
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change