A journey with a difference. The route includes the Waioeka Gorge to Gisborne and the Eastwoodhill Aboretoum with its autumn colours, plus Art Deco Napier and its vineyards. We continue on your own private charter train to Wellington with its gems the Zealandia Sanctuary and Weta World included in your stay. Then relax as we return home on KiwiRails luxurious Northern Explorer.
The coach journey takes you to Opotiki then through the Waioeka Gorge to Gisborne. Frequent stops along the way allow you to absorb the changing scenery.
Today we head out of town to the world renowned Eastwoodhill National Arboretoum. Home to over 3500 different varieties of trees. The autumn colours will be spectacular and an included lunch at the Aboretoum makes for a special day out.
Travelling south down the coast with a morning stop and opportunity to discover the river town of Wairoa before continuing to art deco Napier and a two night stay. Dinner is included tonight at our Waterfront Hotel.
A leisurely start before a mid-morning, guided Art Deco tour and onto the Mission Estate Vineyard for an included lunch. Return to the hotel mid-afternoon.
Depart on our exclusive charter train for a journey through the Wairarapa, passing through Dannevirke, Masterton, Carterton and Featherstonto to arrive into Wellington and transfer to our central city hotel. Dinner is included.
Today’s city tour takes in the viewpoint atop of Mt Victoria, a tour of Weta Workshop with the Weta Cave. Time for a ride on Wellington’s historic Cable Car, followed by a visit to old St Pauls, past the Beehive, Parliament and surrounds. Enjoy a free evening
We set off this morning for Zealandia where you will be astounded
by the bird song from the moment you arrive. To enhance the visit
we have arranged a guided tour. After a coffee break at the end of the tour you are free to stay or return to downtown Wellington for a free day to follow your own interests such as - Te Papa Museum, The National War Memorial
or take the opportunity for some retail therapy. Meet for dinner tonight.
ZEALANDIA is the world’s first fully-fenced urban eco-sanctuary, with an extraordinary 500-year vision to restore a Wellington valley’s forest and freshwater ecosystems as closely as possible to their pre-human state. Set around a picturesque reservoir, ZEALANDIA is home to some of New Zealand’s most rare and extraordinary wildlife - all thriving wild in a world-first protected sanctuary.The 225 hectare eco-sanctuary is a ground breaking conservation project that has reintroduced 18 species of native wildlife back into the area, some of which were previously absent from mainland New Zealand for over 100 years.
Board the train in Wellington and travel along the main trunk line for the daylight adventure to Auckland..Among today’s highlights are the circular climb up the famous engineering feat – the Raurimu Spiral to the Central Plateau and Tongariro National Park with spectacular views of Mt Ruapehu.
• Travel by private train Napier – Wellington. Wellington – Auckland (Northern
• Seven nights hotel accommodation (see details)
• Breakfast daily
• Four lunches and four dinners
• Morning or afternoon tea on board the train
• All sightseeing and entrance fees as specified
• Eastwoodhill Arboretum
• Napier Art Deco guided tour
• Lunch at the Mission Estate
• Wellington City Tour
• Weta Workshop Tour
• Zealandia Tour
• Commentaries provided by your experienced drivers and local guides
• All gratuities
• Experienced Tour Escort
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash / Direct debit price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Cancellation insurance
• Items of a personal nature
• A non-refundable deposit of $400 per person will secure a place on the tour
• FULL PAYMENT is due no later than 18 March 2022
• Bookings made after 18 March 2022 will require full payment
• Deposit – non-refundable.
• After 18 March 2022 – no refund.
• All cancellation charges are on a perperson basis.
• If this tour is cancelled due to Covid 19 government travel restrictions, and a refund is available, Pukekohe Travel reserves the right in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $350 per person
We strongly advise all participants to take out suitable travel insurance to
cover cancellation costs. Please ask us for a quote.
Frequently Asked Questions Travelling alone?
Don’t hesitate to book if you are on your own. Although we are unable to guarantee twin share accommodation for participants travelling individually, we will do our utmost to match suitable participants in share accommodation to avoid the single
room supplement. For those who prefer, we have rooms for sole use.
Advantages of joining our New Zealand Rail Tours
•A unique tour tailored to suit mature holidaymakers who want to see New Zealand in a well-paced, hassle-free manner
• Experience a modern, comfortable train not running to a scheduled timetable
• Experience stopovers in places not generally available to tourists, to take in local sights and taste regional foods
• Appreciate being able to walk about, comfortable seats and enjoy complimentary morning and afternoon teas about.
At times, entering and exiting the train can be very demanding for those with limited mobility
A good standard of fitness is required and clients should be independently mobile with the ability to walk 500m unaided. Mobility frames are not practical or permitted.
We expect people to arrive on tour fit, healthy and ready to travel.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/
termsandconditions or please ask our tour consultant for a copy
• All travellers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health Vaccine Record Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination. It is important that the date of vaccination of your final dose is at least 14 days before the tour departure date.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or ask our tour consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change