Explore the hidden valleys of New Zealand’s hinterland by specially-designed rail-cart.
These carts trundle along decommissioned railway lines, through open hill country, native bush and historic tunnels, across bridges and through rural settlements that have long-since faded away.The end of the line is the Republic of Whangamomona, where you spend a night at the historic hotel to mix with the locals.
A spectacular helicopter ride takes you back in time to Mellonsfolly Ranch, an authentic western town located in un-spoilt native bush on the Central Plateau of the North Island – a timeless Western experience.
A great way to explore rural New Zealand.
Depart on the comfortable Northern Explorer train with pick-ups en-route for a journey through the central North Island to Taumarunui. Lunch will be served on board. On arrival, transfer to our hotel for a one-night stay. A relaxing afternoon tour to a local Alpaca farm is included. Return to Taumarunui for a Welcome Dinner.
Embark on our 80 km, petrol-driven rail cart journey along the ‘Forgotten Highway’ – cameras at the ready! The guided ride through open countryside, native bush and historic tunnels will delight. Your overnight stay in the iconic, old-style, 100 year old Whangamomona Hotel will add to this memorable journey.
Today’s adventure day begins with a spectacular helicopter journey into one of New Zealand’s hidden valleys to the remote Mellonsfolly Ranch, an authentic western town. Step back in time and experience where the charm of the Old West mingles gracefully with the luxury of the Victorian era. From here, we travel by coach to the historic Chateau Tongariro for the final night of our trip.
After a relaxing morning, return by the Northern Explorer train to arrive in Auckland early evening.
• Return travel on the Northern Explorer train
• One night’s accommodation in Taumarunui
• One Night’s accommodation at the Whangamomona hotel (shared facilities)
• One night’s accommodation at the Chateau Tongariro
• Coach travel as specified
• Morning tea and lunch on the train - Thursday
• Three dinners, three lunches and three breakfasts
• Escort subject to 15 people travelling
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
|Twin Share||Single Supplement|
*This is a cash or cheque price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change
• Items of a personal nature
• Cancellation insurance (please ask us for a quote)
• Deposit non-refundable
• No refund can be made after 19 January 2018
• All cancellation charges on a per-person basis
• A reasonable standard of fitness is required with the ability to climb in and out of the train and carts
• Mobility frames or wheelchairs are not practical or permitted
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change