The wairarapa and manawatu are areas many of us have passed through but not explored.
Whanganui has reinvented itself over the past years with the revitalisation of its victorian and
edwardian city centre. We visit merchiston homestead – a 34 roomed home on four levels built in the early 1900s.
Our stay in masterton allows us a day out to visit the castlepoint lighthouse built in 1913.
Cape palliser completes the tour before arriving in wellington.
Depart Auckland on an afternoon flight on Air Chathams to Whanganui. Transfer on arrival to our central city hotel for a three night stay. Dinner is included tonight.
A City tour this morning highlights the architecture in the city centre, Durrie Hill lookout and its elevator and Virginia Park. Followed by lunch and a visit to Bushy Park – a predator free sanctuary. Return to the accommodation for free time.
The morning starts with a visit to the Heritage Park with its expansive lawns, interlinking ponds and heritage Rhododendrons from around the world plus azeleas and more. Onto the annual Crosshills Fair. Time to see the stunning gardens and visit the many quality stalls showcasing New Zealands artists, makers, creators, and growers. An opportunity to shop for Christmas with a difference. Return to the hotel and an included dinner this evening.
After breakfast travel to Rata and Merchiston Homestead. A guided tour of this truly magnificent home with time to stroll in the gardens and admire the Oamaru stone fountain. At Ashhurst a visit to the Herb Farm and café will be a lunch stop. This afternoon, visit Mt Bruce Wildlife Centre before arriving in Masterton for a two night stay. Dinner at the hotel tonight.
This morning travel through farmland and very small settlements to the Wairarapa Coast and Castlepoint. Walk to the lighthouse – built in 1913 and the beach where the annual Castlepoint races are held. Lunch is at a country pub before returning to Masterton to visit the Woolshed - the National Museum of sheep and shearing.
Today we travel to the shopping gem of Greytown with its beautifully restored Victorian wooden buildings with time to shop and browse. Travel onto Martinborough for a winery lunch before checking into our accommodation set in vineyards, for a two night stay. Dinner is included tonight.
A day out to the coast to Cape Palliser with a visit to the Featherston Fell locomotive museum and Ngawi fishing village. Lunch is at the well known Lake Ferry Hotel. Return to Martinborough with an included Farewell Dinner.
After breakfast travel by coach over the Rimutakas to Wellington airport. Fly Air New Zealand to Auckland arriving early afternoon.
• Airfares Auckland – Whanganui on Air Chathams
• Wellington – Auckland on Air New Zealand - Seat and Bag
• Seven nights accommodation
• Breakfast daily
• Five lunches
• Five dinners
• Cruise the Whanganui River
• A day at the annual Crosshills fair
· Guided tour of historic homesteads
• Guided tour of Merchiston Homestead
• Castlepoint and Cape Palliser Lighthouses
• Shopping in Greytown
• Winery lunch in Martinborough
• Fell Locomotive Museum
• The National Museum of sheep and shearing
• Comfortable air conditioned coach with panoramic windows
• Pukekohe Travel escort subject to 15 persons travelling
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash / direct debit price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Items of a personal nature
• Travel Insurance - please ask for a quote
• A non-refundable deposit of $300 per person will secure a place on the tour.
• Full Payment is due no later than 11 February 2022
• Bookings made after 11 February 2022 must be paid in full at time of booking.
• Deposit – non-refundable
• All cancellation charges are on a per-person basis.
• After 30 September 2022 – no refund
We strongly advise all participants to take out suitable travel insurance to cover cancellation costs. Please ask us for a quote.
To ensure the tour is enjoyable for the whole group, a good standard of fitness is required with the ability to comfortably walk 400 metres.
Mobility frames and scooters are not practical or permitted.
• All travellers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health Vaccine Record Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination. It is important that the date of vaccination of your final dose is at least 14 days before the tour departure date.
Covid-19 Tour Disruption
• If this tour is canceled/postponed due to Covid-19 Government travel restrictions Pukekohe Travel reserves the right, in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $500 per person.
• If self-isolation restrictions are imposed by the Ministry of Health whilst on tour, Pukekohe Travel accepts no liability for any additional costs incurred. • Pukekohe Travel will assist in every way possible to ensure any additional travel arrangements required are made with the minimal amount of disruption and in the most cost-effective manner.
• You cannot begin or continue to travel if you have received a positive Covid-19 test in the last 14 days.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or ask our tour consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change