This tour is for garden lovers and for those who love a fete with quality quirky shopping, just in time for Christmas. We have chosen ten gardens from the various areas of the Hurunui District. These gardens all have their own character history and stories and most are only open for visitors once a year. There is also free time to relax and enjoy a soak in the well known Hanmer Thermal Pools. We have limited the numbers to 24.
Mid-morning departure on Air New Zealand, on arrival transfer to your central city hotel. This afternoon enjoy a walking tour of the central city.
This morning we travel to Amberley to visit two gardens:
Blue House (morning tea available) Eight years ago this was an exposed sheep paddock, with a great sheltering hedge to the east, and a stream. Windy
and dry in summer, and under water in winter. Their solution was to divide the property into 13 informal lawns, each surrounded by a garden with its own
Muskells This 25 year old garden on gentle rolling downs has a distinctly north-facing aspect with a wide variety of hardy plants. There is a large camellia
collection and a recently planted native area complements the existing plantings. Today enjoy an included lunch at the Waiprara Hills Winery.
We then visit gardens in the Waipara area.
Iron Ridge Quarry Raymond and Sue Herber have transformed this property from a white dusty derelict quarry into a magical outdoor exhibition space.
Karetu Garden The Karetu Downs homestead overlooks a large sweeping lawn, encapsulated by majestic trees
and under plantings of camellias,rhododendrons, azaleas and roses. Large evergreen and deciduous trees planted in the nineteen sixties gives the garden
Continue to your Hanmers Springs accommodation for the next four nights. Dinner included.
Today wander through the fourth Hanmer Springs Fete – set in the heart of North
Canterbury. This is an exclusive shopping event with over 100 trade stalls, set in
the spacious grounds of the former Lake Alice Hospital. This afternoon at leisure
to perhaps visit the Hanmer Springs pools for a soak.
This morning we visit two local gardens
The Geen Garden Thoughtful planting of trees offer both habitat and a food source for the birds has already paid off, with korimako (bellbird), tui and kereru (wood pigeon) all regular visitors. For the last few years bellbirds have raised fledglings in the garden.
St Helen’s Station Homestead Built in 1917, the homestead, once the hub of a largely self-contained station community with up to 60 employees is now just 50 acres of land. With its mature surrounding gardens now reshaped and groomed, St Helen’s homestead is an important reminder of this high country station’s interesting past. This afternoon is free to explore, rest or have another soak in the pools.
Today we explore the Harwarden area
Saddlewood The array of beautiful deciduous trees including oak, ash, birch, plane, elm and lime all nestle around this
classically English styled home. You’ll love the many paths and ponds that take visitors to areas of woodland, water, roses and views that open north to the
spectacular views of Mt Tekoa.
Newstead This is a one hectare garden with a series of connecting rooms. A Woodland garden of oak trees, a Pergola
garden with roses clematis and Nandina the vegetable garden is also a highlight Travel to the Culverdon/ Rotherham cluster.
Palmside Originally planted in the 1920’s there are many majestic trees. The garden around the house is more formal with box hedging and standard
virburnum with roses in another area. The garden is layered with mature trees, shrubs and perennials. Also enjoy the views to Mt Lyford.
Coldstream This garden is a lush oasis as a stream flows through this one hectare garden that wraps around the farmhouse. There a a series of interconnecting lawns. Springtime sees mass plantings of daffodils, tulips and peonies in flower.
Farewell dinner at the hotel tonight
This morning travel to Christchurch for your Air New Zealand flight to Auckland.
• Air New Zealand Seat & Bag airfare Auckland – Christchurch return
*other destinations please ask
• Five night’s accommodation
• Breakfast daily
• Lunch at Waipara Hills Winery
• Four dinners
• Entry to ten gardens
• Single entry to Hanmer Springs Pools
• Entry to Hanmer Springs Fete
• Tour escort subject to 15 persons travelling
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
|Staying at Heritage Hanmer Springs||$2416||$3030|
|Staying at Hanmer Springs Retreat||$2416|
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Items of a personal nature
• Optional cancellation insurance
• A non-refundable deposit of $250 per person will secure a place on the tour
• Full payment by 09 September 2022
• Deposit is non-refundable
• After full payment – no refund is available
• We strongly advise all participants take out suitable travel insurance to cover cancellation costs.
• Please ask for a quote.
All travelers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health Vaccine Record Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination.
Covid-19 Tour Disruption
• If this tour is cancelled/postponed due to Covid-19 Government travel restrictions Pukekohe Travel reserves the right, in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $250 per person.
• If self isolation restrictions are imposed by the Ministry of Health whilst on tour, Pukekohe Travel accepts no liability for any additional costs incurred.
• Pukekohe Travel will assist in every way possible to ensure any additional travel arrangements required are made with the minimal amount of disruption and in the most cost-effective manner.
• You cannot begin or continue to travel if you have received a positive Covid-19 test in the last 14 days.
• To ensure the tour is enjoyable for the whole group, a reasonable standard of fitness is required. Many gardens are sloping and there will be steps to negotiate.
• Mobility frames and wheelchairs are not practical or permitted.
For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/ termsandconditions or ask our tour consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change