This escorted tour promises to be a true journey of discovery not only of the rich, indigenous culture of Ecuador, but the real adventure of exploring the most biodiverse ecosystems on earth, the Amazon Rainforest and the Galapagos Islands. Arrive by motorised canoe for your 3-night eco-lodge stay in the heart of the Amazon Rainforest where you will be immersed in the natural world. Then fly on to the Galapagos Islands to board a private exclusive cruiser from which you’ll explore this archipelago of 19 islands. For 8 days explore this living museum and melting pot of marine species found nowhere else in the world.
Why not join us for a truly remarkable tour that will leave you with a lifetime of memories.
Depart Auckland and cross the international dateline. Arrive in Santiago mid-afternoon for an overnight stay.
An early morning flight to Quito (2,850m, 9,350ft). On arrival rest at the hotel to acclimatise. Dinner is at a local restaurant.
Quito – perched high in the Andes amongst snow-capped mountains and misty volcanoes, Quito is a breath-taking destination. Spanning two hemispheres, its dramatic setting has always lured visitors, but its best kept secrets are hidden in the candlelit monasteries, leafy plazas and narrow cobblestone streets.
This morning’s tour of Quito highlights the well-preserved colonial centre blending European, Moorish and indigenous styles. Including the San Francisco Church, Independence Square and the Virgin of Quito statue. Afternoon at leisure.
A day of high altitude. First visit the colourful Otavalo market for handicrafts that will dazzle you (2,532m) before continuing to Peguche waterfall. Lunch is at a local restaurant and serves typical local food. Return to Quito late afternoon.
This morning fly from Quito to Coca, a small town in the Amazon. A two-hour boat journey in a motorised canoe up the Napo River transports you to Sacha Lodge for an all-inclusive three-night stay.
Your time here will be unique and may include a forest canopy tree-top walk, climbing the giant Kapok tree tower, nighttime Caiman spotting, guided forest walks during the day or after dark, the Butterfly House, paddling dugout canoes guided silently through forested creeks or swim in the safe Lake Pool.
All activities and meals are included during your stay.
Transfer back to Coca for the flight to Quito. Transfer to your overnight hotel.
This morning we fly to San Cristobal Island and transfer to our exclusive private cruiser ‘Natural Paradise’. After lunch onboard we will cruise to Kicker Rock and Witch Hill. Blue footed boobies, turtles, spectacular rock formations and our first opportunity to snorkel awaits.
Galapagos Islands This isolated group of volcanic islands and its fragile ecosystem has taken on an almost mythological status as a showcase of biodiversity. Yet you don’t have to be an evolutionary biologist to appreciate one of the few places left on the planet where the human footprint is kept to a minimum.
Today is our first opportunity to step ashore. North Seymour Island is an uplifted submarine lava formation. Home to land iguanas and thousands of nesting frigate birds. On South Plaza Island we find one of the largest sea lion colonies as well as yellow and red land iguanas.
Rabida Island is one of the most colourful islands in the archipelago as well as a great snorkelling site. The island is also a bird watchers delight including Galapagos hawks and brown pelicans. This afternoon we visit Pinnacle Rock. Enjoy a trail of stairs to the summit for spectacular views. A swim or snorkel to finish the day with Galapagos Penguins.
Today we walk a trail that passes through three different environments. Land iguanas are plentiful, and the lagoons here contain shrimp which, when plentiful attract flamingos. Later this afternoon we can enjoy a snorkel and possibly see Black-Tip reef sharks and a variety of rays.
Today we travel into the highlands of Santa Cruz. We walk underground through lava tunnels, before lunch in the lush green forest. This afternoon we visit the Fausto Llerena Tortoise Breeding Centre where we can see hatchlings from 3 inches to adults 4-feet long.
This morning’s walk takes us along a rocky path to view red-footed boobies, short eared owls, Galapagos storm petrels and Galapagos doves. In the afternoon we visit Darwin Bay and see Nazca boobies and swallow-tailed gulls.
Today we arrive at Espumilla Beach where marine iguanas lounge and Sally Lightfoot crabs attract the hunting herons. Snorkelling today is highly recommended as we have the chance to see Octopus, moray eel, shark and a variety of tropical fish. Afterwards we visit Buccaneer Cove once a refuge site for British buccaneers where hundreds of sea birds perch in front of a dark red sand beach.
On arrival at Bachas Beach, a great spot for a swim. We may see flamingos, Sally Lightfoot Crabs and turtles who also nest on the beach. Later transfer to the airport for the flight to Guayaquil.
A leisurely start today before we transfer to the airport for our flight to Santiago. Arrive and change planes for our journey home.
Cross the international date line.
An early morning arrival into Auckland
• International flights Auckland - Santiago // Santiago – Quito // Guayaquil – Santiago // Santiago - Auckland
• Domestic air flights – Quito – Coca // Coca – Quito – Galapagos // Galapagos - Guayaquil
• All transfers / assistance and transport as outlined
• Transportation by air-conditioned private vehicles
• 4-star hotel accommodation in Santiago, Guayaquil and Quito
• 3 night / 4 day all-inclusive stay at Amazon Sacha lodge
• Galapagos National Park entrance fees
• Meals as specified
• 7 nights aboard ‘Natural Paradise in a cabin of your choice including all meals, purified water, coffee and tea on board
• Use of wetsuits and snorkelling equipment on board ‘Natural Paradise’
• Sightseeing and entrance fees as specified
• Professional English-speaking bilingual guides throughout
• Pukekohe Travel escort subject to 14 persons travelling
|Cost Per Person *
Auckland - Auckland
|Upper Deck Suite
|Main Deck Jr Suite (Sold Out)
|Upper Deck Jr Suite
|Main Deck Stateroom (Sold Out)
|Lower Deck Stateroom (Sold Out)
|Business Class Upgrade
|Early Booking Discount (01 March 2024 )
|Previous International Pukekohe Travel Tour Discount
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 1.5% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Items of a personal nature
• Travel Insurance - please ask us for a quote.
• Airline and Security Taxes (approx. NZD225)
• Tipping and gratuities
• Meals not indicated in the itinerary
• Soft drinks and alcoholic beverages on board ‘Natural Paradise’
• A non-refundable deposit of $2000 per person secures a place on the tour
• Full payment is due no later than 01 June 2024
• From date of booking until 01 June 2024 – loss of deposit
• After 01 June 2024 – no refund
• It is highly recommended that clients take out Travel Insurance – please ask us for a quote
Travel Insurance is essential. Please feel free to contact us for a quote.
• A current passport is required – valid six months beyond return date of travel
• All other passports – please ask
• Visas are not required for NZ passport holders for Chile or Ecuador
Santiago 5˚c min - 19˚c max
Quito 9˚c min - 21˚c max
Coca, Amazon Rainforest 16˚c min - 27˚c max
Galapagos 18˚c min - 24˚c max
• Clean drinking water is available while touring.
• Please take your own re-useable water bottle
• The currency in Chile is the Chilean Peso.
• The official currency in Ecuador is the US dollar.
• In both countries, ATMs are widely available in the cities and credit cards (Visa & MasterCard most popular) are accepted in most established businesses.
• A good standard of fitness and health is required. The ability to walk unaided on uneven, fairly steep surfaces and negotiate steps for a period of time are part of many daily activities on this tour.
• Ability to step onto a small zodiac craft for shore landings in the Galapagos
• Ability to walk across island tracks for upto 3km on uneven ground
• No obligatory vaccinations are required for this tour.
• We recommend that you consult your GP regarding recommended health precautions for the countries and areas visited
Upper Deck Suite including balcony
Upper Deck Junior Suite including balcony
Main Deck Junior Suite
Main Deck Stateroom
Lower Deck Stateroom
Remote yet accessible, unspoiled yet comfortable, Sacha Lodge has protected the fabulous wildlife for more than 20 years, enabling it to flourish. Our all-inclusive jungle lodge is the ideal base to explore the fascinating rainforest in small groups, led by expert guides.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or please ask our tour consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change