Adventure at a relaxed pace - explore the hidden valleys of New Zealand’s hinterland by specially designed self-drive rail carts.
Glide along decommissioned heritage railway lines, guided through native bush and open hill country, across bridges, through the 20 historic tunnels and rural settlements that have long-since faded away. Roll on the rails amidst breathtaking landscapes and discover a different vista as you emerge from each new tunnel. The end of the line is the ‘Republic of Whangamomona’ – world famous in New Zealand!
Spend a night in its historic hotel to mix with the locals before travelling back on the Forgotten Highway. Then on to National Park for your final night stay. A great way to experience pure rural New Zealand.
Depart in comfort on the Northern Explorer train for our journey through the central North Island to Taumarunui. Lunch on board. On arrival transfer to our accommodation for one night and later visit New Zealand’s largest Alpaca farm for afternoon tea. A beautiful property to get up close with these friendly and unique animals. Return to Taumarunui for dinner at the Taumarunui RSA.
First breakfast, then embark on our guided rail cart journey along the Forgotten World Railway – cameras at the ready! Meandering along the decommissioned railway lines through these remote and untamed yet serene King Country back blocks. Through 20 tunnels over 82km, you’ll be immersed in the Forgotten World and its colourful history. Arrive late afternoon with time to explore the ‘Republic of Whangamomona’. Your overnight stay in the iconic 100-year-old Whangamomona Hotel (shared facilities) will only add to this memorable journey.
This morning, trade the Forgotten World Railway for the Forgotten Highway as we coach State Highway 43 back to Taumarunui. Lunch today in the special setting of Lauren’s Lavender Farm adjacent to the Whanganui River. Relax as we coach up onto the Central Plateau to spend our last night at the Park Hotel Ruapehu, where we will dine tonight.
After a leisurely breakfast, we transfer to the train station to meet the Northern Explorer, arriving in Auckland early evening.
• Northern Explorer train travel Auckland - Taumarunui // National Park - Auckland
• All transfers while on tour
• Meals as specified
• 3 nights’ accommodation (Taumarunui / Whangamomona - shared facilities / National Park)
• 20 Tunnel guided adventure rail tour
• Ultimate Alpaca Farm experience
• Lavender Farm experience
• Pukekohe Travel escort (subject to 12 people travelling)
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 1.5% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Domestic travel insurance – ask us for a quote
• Water and drink bottle for the 20 Tunnels tour
• Items of a personal nature
• Items unspecified
• A non-refundable deposit of $300 per person
• Full payment by 09 February 2024
• Deposit is non refundable
• After full payment 09 February 2024 – no refund is available
• It is highly recommended that clients take out Travel Insurance – please ask us for a quote
We strongly advise all participants to take out suitable travel insurance to cover cancellation costs. Please ask for a quote
• To ensure the tour is enjoyable for the whole group, a reasonable standard of fitness is required.
• Mobility frames, scooters and wheelchairs are not practical or permitted.
• We except you will arrive on tour fit, healthy and ready to travel.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/ termsandconditions or ask our tour consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change