Everyone loves adventure and we have found a little gem travelling via a backroad from Queenstown to Te Anau.
The adventure day starts with a cruise on the Earnslaw to Walter Peak Station. After a sumptuous lunch board 4 WD vehicles to travel the backroad via Mt Nicholas, past Lake Movara and Bullock Creek to arrive in Te Anau late afternoon.
To start the tour our very comfortable charter train journey travels on lines now closed to general passenger services. Starting at Christchurch you will travel through to Invercargill with a overnight in Dunedin.
Depart mid-morning from Auckland on Air New Zealand to arrive Christchurch at midday. This afternoon enjoy a walking tour of rebuilt Christchurch, with the balance of the day free. Welcome Dinner tonight.
Depart by coach for a tour of the Banks Peninsula. The drive has spectacular views overlooking bays and beaches before arriving in Akaroa with time to enjoy the history, harbor and French character. We return to Christchurch and the afternoon is free for you to enjoy the city.
Tranz Alpine Train $318 per person
This morning board the Tranz Alpine train to traverse the spectacular Southern Alps to the West Coast. Cross the Canterbury Plains through Darfield and climb the mountain range including a stop at Arthurs Pass. Our descent takes us through Otira and the renowned rain forests and wetlands to Greymouth. After some time to explore this West Coast town rejoin the train for your return journey to Christchurch.
Transfers not included.
We join our exclusive chartered train and travel south through rolling farmland and coastal inlets via Timaru, Oamaru and Palmerston for a one night stay in Dunedin.
After breakfast we board our train and travel through Gore and Balclutha, including a special side trip to Nugget Point in the Catlins, before arriving into Invercargill to enjoy one of the southernmost cities in the world.
This morning we will have an excursion to Bluff before a free afternoon to explore the city. Why not discover the world class vintage truck collection at Bill Richardson Transport World, or learn about the legend of speed - Burt Munro at E Hayes Motorworks. Or simply take a stroll through the botanical gardens.
After breakfast we drive north through the rich Southland countryside into Otago following the Lake Wakatipu shoreline to Queenstown. This afternoon is at your leisure.
Today is at leisure to enjoy ‘The Jewel of the South’. Maybe take the gondola to admire the panoramic views of Lake Wakatipu or for the more adventurous a helicopter ride above Lake Wakatipu. The choices are extensive.
A late morning departure. Join the TSS Earnslaw and cruise to Walter Peak Station where, a Gourmet BBQ lunch is served. During the stay there will be a rural demonstration plus time to visit their gardens. On the backroad journey there will be photo stops. Two breaks enroute at Old MT Nicholas Cottage and Bullock Creek.
Drive through mountain beech forests framed by spectacular snow-capped mountains and the Homer Tunnel before emerging at Milford Sound for your lunch time cruise.
This morning we take a leisurely drive from Te Anau to Queenstown Airport for your afternoon flight home.
• Airfare Auckland – Christchurch / Queenstown – Auckland. Other home destinations please ask.
• Nine nights hotel accommodation
• Travel by comfortable coach with panoramic windows
• Travel by private charter train Christchurch to Invercargill
• Cooked breakfast daily
• Eight dinners
• Four lunches
• All sightseeing and entrance fees as specified
• Christchurch walking tours
• TSS Earnslaw cruise and gourmet BBQ lunch at Walter Peak Station
• An exclusive backroad journey in 4WD vehicle from Te Anau - Walter Peak
• Milford Sound Luncheon Cruise
• A side trip to Nugget Point, Catlins
• Pukekohe Travel escorts
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Cancellation insurance
• Items of a personal nature
• Items not specified
A non-refundable deposit of $300 per person is required to secure your place on the tour. Full payment is due not later than 07 January 2022
Bookings made after 07 January 2022 require full payment at time of booking
• Deposit – non-refundable
• Full payment – non-refundable
• All cancellations are on a per person basis
• No refund can be made one the tour is underway.
• If this tour is cancelled due to Covid 19 government travel restrictions, and if a refund is available, Pukekohe Travel reserves the right in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $400 per person
• We strongly recommend participants to take out suitable insurance to cover cancellation costs. Please ask for quote.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or ask our tour consultant for a copy
To ensure the tour is enjoyable for the whole group, a good standard fitness is required and clients should be able to walk comfortably for at least 500 metres. Walking frames and wheelchairs are not practical or permitted.
All travellers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health Vaccine Record Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination. It is important that the date of vaccination of your final dose is at least 14 days before the tour departure date.
Please click here to download a copy of the booking form
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change