Adventure at a relaxed pace; explore the hidden valleys of New Zealand’s hinterland by specially-designed self-drive rail carts. Glide along decommissioned heritage railway lines, guided through native bush and open hill country, across bridges, through the 20 historic tunnels and rural settlements that have long-since faded away. Roll on the rails amidst breathtaking landscapes and discover a different vista as you emerge from each new tunnel.
The end of the line is the ‘Republic of Whangamomona’ – world famous in New Zealand!
Spend a night in its historic hotel to mix with the locals before travelling back on the Forgotten Highway. Then on to another of New Zealand’s grand old ladies; the Chateau Tongariro, set magnificently amongst the tussock of Tongariro National Park with its three impressive mountains as a backdrop. A great way to experience pure rural New Zealand.
Depart in comfort on the Northern Explorer train for our journey through the central North Island to Taumarunui.
Lunch on board. On arrival transfer to our accommodation for one night and later visit New Zealand’s largest Alpaca farm for
afternoon tea. A beautiful property to get up close with these friendly and unique animals. Return to Taumarunui for dinner at the Taumarunui RSA.
First breakfast, then embark on our guided rail cart journey along the Forgotten World Railway – cameras at the ready! Meandering along the decommissioned railway lines
through these remote and untamed yet serene King Country back blocks. Through 20 tunnels over 82km, you’ll be immersed in the Forgotten World and its colourful history.
Arrive late afternoon with time to explore the ‘Republic of Whangamomona’. Your overnight stay in the iconic 100-year-old Whangamomona Hotel (shared facilities) will only add to this memorable journey.
This morning, trade the Forgotten World Railway for the Forgotten Highway as we coach State Highway 43 back to
Taumarunui. Lunch today in the special setting of Lauren’s Lavender Farm adjacent to the Whanganui River. Relax as we coach up onto the Central Plateau to spend our last night at the Chateau Tongariro, where we will dine tonight.
Transfer back to National Park train station early afternoon to meet the Northern Explorer, arriving in Auckland early evening.
• Return Northern Explorer train travel
• All transfers while on tour
• Meals as specified
• 3 nights’ accommodation (Taumarunui / Whangamomona -shared facilities / Chateau Tongariro)
• 20 Tunnel guided adventure rail tour
• Ultimate Alpaca Farm experience
• Lavender Farm experience
• Pukekohe Travel escort (subject to 12 people travelling)
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash or direct debit price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Domestic travel insurance – ask us for a quote
• Water and drink bottle for the 20 Tunnels tour
• Items of a personal nature
• Items unspecified
• A non-refundable deposit of $300 per person will secure a place on the tour
• Full payment by Friday 30 September 2022
• Deposit is non refundable
• After full payment 30 September 2022 – no refund is available
• All cancellation charges are on a per person basis
• It is highly recommended that clients take out Travel Insurance – please ask us for a quote
• If this tour is cancelled due to Covid 19 government travel restrictions, and a refund is available,Pukekohe Travel reserves the right in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $250 per person
We recommend travel insurance for our clients. Please feel free to contact us for a quote.
• All travelers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health Vaccine Record Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination. It is important that the date of vaccination of your final dose is at least 14 days before the tour departure date.
• For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/termsandconditions or ask our tour consultant for a copy
• To ensure the tour is enjoyable for the whole group, a
reasonable standard of fitness is required.
• Mobility frames, scooters and wheelchairs are not practical
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change