Our previous groups commented on becoming totally absorbed in the remoteness and beauty of Fiordland on their six-night adventure on board ‘Milford Wanderer.’
Enjoy exploring coves, islands, beaches and bush with names hitherto unknown with opportunities to walk, kayak and throw out a fishing line.
Spend the first night in Te Anau, cruise across Lake Manapouri, coach over picturesque Wilmot Pass to Doubtful Sound before boarding the ‘Milford Wanderer’ - and this is only the beginning.
Cruise out of Doubtful, known as ‘The Sound of Silence’ with its inspiring backdrop, to the sea to Dusky Sound with time to explore this historic and beautiful coastline.
Chalky Inlet and Preservation Inlet are all part of this special adventure where nature, history and scenery make this a journey with a difference.
Broad beaches allow excellent opportunities for landing, walking and exploring in your own time.
A concluding highlight is the helicopter ride to the West Arm of Lake Manapouri.
Overnight in Te Anau before returning to Queenstown and a flight home.
Option to extend your stay in Queenstown are available.
Depart Auckland on a morning flight direct to Queenstown. Transfer by coach to the lakeside town of Te Anau for an overnight stay. Enjoy a Welcome Dinner at the hotel.
After breakfast transfer to Manapouri, cruise across the lake and coach over Wilmot Pass to Deep Cove. Board the ‘Milford Wanderer’ and cruise out of Doubtful Sound and along the coastline to Breaksea. Time to relax and enjoy a sumptuous dinner on board your home for the next six nights.
Cruise through Acheron Passage to Dusky Sound and visit the Shag Islands and Sportsman Cove and in the afternoon visit Luncheon Cove, the site of New Zealand’s first European and sealers settlements. Optional walk available.
Begin with a visit to early conservationist Richard Henry’s house on Pigeon Island. Cruise Facile Harbour, site of New Zealand’s first-known European ship wreck. Cruise through the narrow channels of Resolution Island with the opportunity for kayaking or walking.
Visit Pickersgill Harbour and Astronomers Pt – named and used by Captain Cook in 1773. A three-hour sea passage takes us to Chalky Inlet for a beach walk in the solitude of South Port and a visit to an old sawmill site. Anchor at North Port for the night.
In the morning visit the town site of Cromarty and the mining relics of Te Oneroa with the option of a 5km walk to Puysegur Point Lighthouse in the afternoon.
A day to explore the historic area including Tarawera smelter, the site of New Zealand’s first operational whaling station and the golden beaches of Spit Island.
After breakfast enjoy a spectacular helicopter flight from Weka Island to the West Arm of Manapouri. Visit the underground power station before cruising across the lake to Manapouri and on to Te Anau for our Farewell Dinner and overnight.
After breakfast return by coach to Queenstown for your flight home. There is also the opportunity to extend your time in the picturesque south. Please contact us for details.
• Return flights from Auckland to Queenstown (Other centres on request)
• Return coach transfers Queenstown to Te Anau
• Two nights’ accommodation in Te Anau
• Transfers as specified
• Return ferry shuttle across Lake Manapouri
• Six nights’ accommodation on board the ‘Milford Wanderer’
• Breakfasts, lunches and dinners as outlined
• Specialist nature guide while on-board ‘Milford Wanderer’
• Landings and guided walks
• Visits to historic sites and abandoned settlements
• Tender craft and kayaks for exploring the coastline
• Helicopter flight from Weka / Long Island to Manapouri West Arm
• Pukekohe Travel escort subject to 15 passengers travelling
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
*This is a cash or cheque price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Travel Insurance
• Items of a personal nature
• A non-refundable deposit of $500 per person will secure a place on this tour
• Full payment is due no later than 19 June 2021
• Bookings made after 19 June 2021 will require full payment
• Deposit – non refundable
• After 19 June 2021 – no refund
• All cancellation charges are on a per-person basis
• No refund can be made once tour is under way
We strongly advise all participants take out suitable travel Insurance to cover cancellation costs.
Please ask for a quote.
• Please note there is NO cell phone coverage during the cruise
• It is recommended that you bring hiking type boots or gumboots which are ideal for stomping around the beaches and bush
• It is company policy not to fish within the Fiordland Waterways, but if time and weather permits, there may be the opportunity to catch some lunch outside the fiords using the on-board hand lines
A good standard of health and fitness is required and clients should be independently mobile with the ability to walk unaided on uneven surfaces and negotiate stairs.
Please arrive healthy , fit and ready to travel.
The ‘Milford Wanderer’
Launched in 1992 and re-fitted in 2011, the 30m purpose-built ‘Milford Wanderer’ was adapted from the designs of early sailing scows.
• Steel hull
• Latest safety equipment
• Top speed of 10 knots
• Sleeps 32 passengers
• Open bridge policy
• A stabi-craft 18 person aluminium runabout with landing steps is available
• The skipper and crew and nature guides are all trained-professionals with an intimate knowledge of the region
• The cabins are down one flight of stairs from the main deck
• Comfortable fixed-twin style compartments with all linen and towels provided (no ensuites)
• Shared unisex facilities with modern showers
• No laundry facilities on board
• The galley is well-provisioned with delicious and plentiful home-cooked meals including morning and afternoon teas provided
• There is a well-stocked, licensed bar with plenty of room to relax in the main saloon. ‘Milford Wanderer’ is NOT licensed for BYO
• There are natural history and wildlife books available as well as playing cards and a range of board games
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change