Are you - ‘a seek new experiences person’ then try this itinerary. This is an opportunity to visit and understand more about life on two South Pacific Islands that have close links with New Zealand trade and New Zealand currency. Promoted as ‘Heaven on Earth’ Rarotonga is the capital of the Cook Islands group. A resident population of some 11,000 live within the 15 islands that make up their Nation and about 8,000 are based in Rarotonga it is mountainous, palm fringed with white beaches in a rubbish free, relaxed laid-back environment. Activities abound, snorkeling, wind surfing, deep-sea fishing, cross mountain hiking, local entertainment and a wide range of easily accessible restaurants. Niue, the largest uplifted coral atoll and the world’s smallest independent nation is an uncrowded, un- touristy slice of Polynesia. A rugged shoreline with a heavily forested inland and surrounded by an ocean of clear clear waters with an abundance of marine life. It is an unexpected island with genuine friendly people where 5,000 people lived in the 1960s now has just 1,500 – with 15 times as many Niueans now living in New Zealand.
There are two tour options to choose from.
One tour will depart from Auckland to Rarotonga and the second option will depart Auckland to Niue. The departure dates and the length of the tours are the same. Please read below for the day by day tour details.
We hope you can join us.
Depart on Air New Zealand, cross the dateline and arrive in the afternoon of Monday 17.
On arrival transfer to the Edgewater Resort for your next four nights stay. Welcome dinner tonight. .
This morning’s island tour covers the history, infrastructure and highlights of the island. On return to the hotel free time for an afternoon swim. This evening is Island Night which includes Dinner and Show, a performance of local dance and music.
After a relaxed breakfast transfer to the glass bottomed boat lagoon cruise. Enjoy snorkeling, ukelele playing, pareu tying, weaving as well as a delicious fish BBQ. Along with coconut husking, tree climbing and more. Return to the hotel with the balance of the day at leisure.
A day to follow your own interests. Explore, swim, relax or shop. A regular “round the island” bus stop is on the road outside the hotel.
A morning transfer to the airport for your charter flight to the Island of Niue. On arrival you will have a brief orientation followed by a local lunch before arriving at the Matavai Hotel overlooking the clear waters of the Pacific Ocean for a three night stay on this small independent Pacific nation.
This morning’s island tour will introduce you to Niue. Your local guide(s) will share with you the history, infrastructure, and highlights of the island from a local perspective. We will explore some of Niue’s scenic and historical sites and depending on conditions explore a local sea track to snorkel.
Sunday is traditionally a day of rest in Niue. Following breakfast, your local guide(s) will transfer you to the largest vanilla plantation farm on the island. Your host will share with you the intricacies of vanilla, a valuable spice that has become a labour of love for the owners of Niue Vanilla. Following this tour, we will head over to the southwestern coastline of the island and spend some time exploring one
of Niue’s most popular scenic sites, Matapa Chasm, once reserved as the bathing place for Niue’s royalty. Light lunch will be provided at Hio Café and you can explore one of the smaller beaches just below the café. For the afternoon we shall return to Scenic Matavai resort to relax and prepare for dinner.
Departing Niue is a unique affair. Check out of the resort will be done this morning and you will be transferred to the airport to check-in for your departing flight. Once the check-in formalities have been completed the group can return back to the resort to relax before transfers back to the airport to proceed through security. You cross the dateline again.
The second tour option departing Auckland to Niue is detailed below...
Depart on Air New Zealand, cross the dateline and arrive in the afternoon of Monday 17.
On arrival you be transferred to the Matavai Hotel overlooking the clear waters of the Pacific Ocean for a four night stay on this small independent Pacific nation. Welcome dinner tonight.
This morning’s island tour will introduce you to Niue. Your local guide(s) will share with you the history, infrastructure, and highlights of the island from a local perspective. We will explore some of Niue’s scenic and historical sitesand depending on conditions explore a local sea track to snorkel. On our way towards the Resort we will explore the National Museum. Afternoon at Leisure.
Aho Pule Fakamotu, Niue 48th Constitution and Flag Raising Day. Today Niue celebrates 48 years of self-governing in free association status with New Zealand. Today you are welcome to join in on the celebrations for the day.
Following breakfast, at the Resort your local guides will transfer you to the Eastern Coast of the island and explore some of the iconic sites located on this side of the island. We will make our way to the village of Lakepa and join Mary and Kupa Magatogia for a village tour. Continue on and meet the owners and operators of Niue Vanilla and explore the intricacies of growing this valuable spice, a project that
has become a labour of love for the owners.
After departing your hotel you have a local lunch before your mid-afternoon charter flight to Rarotonga in the Cook Islands. On arrival transfer to the Edgewater Resort for your next three nights stay.
This morning’s island tour covers the history, infrastructure and highlights of the island. On return to the hotel time for an afternoon to swim. This evening is Island Night which includes Dinner and Show, a performance of local dance and music
After a relaxed breakfast transfer to the glass bottomed boat lagoon cruise. Enjoy snorkling, ukelele playing, pareu tying, weaving as well as a delicious fish BBQ. Along with coconut husking, tree climbing and more. Return to the hotel with the balance of the day at leisure.
Morning free before an afternoon transfer to the airport on Air New Zealand (Cross the International Date Line)
Option to extend in Rarotonga- Please call us
• 7 nights’ accommodation private facilities
• Garden room at Edgewater Rarotonga
• Auckland - Rarotonga// Niue - Auckland return Air New Zealand ‘The Works’ airfare.
• Niue- Rarotonga Private Charter flight
• Breakfast daily
• 3 lunches
• 5 dinners
• Island and cultural orientation tours
• Lagoon cruise
• Hosted/ Guided locally by long time Rarotonga and Niue residents
• Escort subject to 20 persons travelling
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
Matavai Resort upgrade
(Clifftop Superior Room - Limited Numbers)
*This is a cash price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Items of a personal expenses
• Travel insurance – please ask us for a quote
• Meals not specified
• Airline and airport taxes (approx $265)
• A non-refundable deposit of $300 pp will secure a place on the tour
• Full payment no later than 19 August 2022
• From the date of booking to 19 August 2022 – loss of deposit
• After 19 August 2022 – no refund
We recommend Travel Insurance. Please feel free to contact us for a quote.
• The New Zealand Dollar –on both Islands
• Temperatures are a very pleasant 29˚c with a low of 22˚c
• Valid New Zealand passport is required valid for at least 7 days beyond your stay Other nationalities - please ask
• Cook Island, Niue and New Zealand entry forms to be completed online (compulsory)
• International Vaccine Passport
• A good standard of health is required and clients should be mobile with the ability to walk on uneven surfaces and steps.
Currently all travelers must be fully vaccinated and be able to provide a copy of the Ministry of Health International Vaccine
Record Card with proof of your full Covid-19 vaccination.
• If this tour is cancelled/postponed due to Covid-19 Government travel restrictions Pukekohe Travel reserves the right, in addition to any supplier imposed amendment and cancellation fees, to charge a service and administrative fee of $350 per person.
• If New Zealand, Niuean and or Rarotongan Borders are closed as a result of Government imposed restrictions and/or,
quarantine / self isolation travel restrictions are imposed on New Zealanders returning home from overseas, Pukekohe Travel
accepts no liability for any additional costs incurred.
• These are not limited to but includes any cancellation or amendment fees or border quarantine fees imposed.
• Pukekohe Travel will assist in every way possible to ensure any additional travel arrangements required are made with the
minimal amount of disruption and in the most cost-effective manner.
• You cannot begin or continue to travel if you have received a positive Covid-19 test in the last 7 days.
For full terms and conditions please visit our website www.pukekohetravel.co.nz/ termsandconditions or ask our tour consultant for a copy
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change