Become totally absorbed in the remoteness and beauty of Fiordland on a six-night adventure on board the luxurious ‘Fiordland Jewel.’
Enjoy exploring coves, islands, beaches and bush with names hitherto unknown with opportunities to walk, kayak and throw out a casual fishing line or use the latest in fishing technology.
Spend the first night in Te Anau, before a spectacular helicopter flight over the Fiordland Wilderness to the boat waiting in Preservation Inlet. For the next seven days you will be surrounded by the rugged beauty and wildlife of this untouched corner of New Zealand. The surrounding Fiords are havens for marine and bird life and the opportunity to step ashore and explore the remains of early settlements are numerous.
The journey concludes in the dramatic Doubtful Sound with a coach ride back to civilisation over Wilmot Pass and cruise across Lake Manapouri then coach to Te Anau. Overnight before returning to Queenstown and a flight home.
Option to extend your stay in Queenstown are available.
Depart Auckland on a morning flight direct to Queenstown. Transfer by coach to the lakeside town of Te Anau for an overnight stay. Enjoy a Welcome Dinner at the hotel.
After breakfast take a spectacular helicopter flight to Preservation Inlet. Board the ‘Fiordland Jewel’. Time to relax. Tonight enjoy a sumptuous dinner on board your home for the next six nights in the stateroom of your choice.
Highlights will include
• Puysegur Point where we hike to the most isolated lighthouse in New Zealand
• Cascade Basin, a magnificent waterfall that plunges into Long Sound
• Walk on the beach at South Point Cove and visit McCallum’s sawmill
• View the rusting hulk of the wreck, “Stella”, a steamship that purposefully ran aground in the 1800s
•Chalky Inlet where we explore old mining machinery and the remnants of the Gold
rush of the 1890’s.
• At Krisbee Bay view abandoned saw-milling boilers.
• At Te Oneroa Beach hike inland to the remnants of mining, an aerial cableway and the sight of the first whaling station in the South Island.
• Dusky Sound
• Learn of Richard Henry’s pioneering efforts to preserve the wildlife of Fiorldand by the live transfer of Kakapo and Kiwi to islands in Dusky Sound.
• Captain Cook anchored HMS Resolution in 1773. In Pickersgill Harbour Captain Cook moored off Astronomers Point for five weeks to track the Transit of Venus.
• During the cruise the ROV (underwater remote controlled camera) will be launched to view the unique black coral.
Head north through Breaksea and travel along the coast to Doubtful Sound. The deepest of all the Sounds that has a special cloistered serenity. Keep your eyes peeled for New Zealand fur seals and Fiordland Crested Penguins.
After breakfast disembark Fiordland Jewel at Deep Cove. Coach over Wilmot Pass to Lake Manapouri then cruise across the lake where a coach will meet you to transfer to Te Anau for an overnight stay.
After breakfast coach to Queenstown airport for your early afternoon flight to Auckland or extend your stay in Queenstown.
All timings and the itinerary is subject to weather conditions and subject to change * Itinerary subject to change
•Return flights from Auckland to Queenstown (Other centres on request)
•Return coach transfers Queenstown to Te Anau
•Two nights’ accommodation in Te Anau including breakfast and dinner
•Transfers as specified
•Return ferry shuttle across Lake Manapouri
•Six nights’ accommodation on board the ‘Fiordland Jewel’
•All meals and tea and coffee while on board Fiordland Jewel
•Envolu toiletries onboard
•Landings and guided walks
•Visits to historic sites and abandoned settlements
•Tender craft and eight kayaks for exploring the coastline
•Shimano electric fishing reels
•Helicopter flight from Te Anau to Preservation Inlet
• Pukekohe Travel escort subject to 15 passengers travelling
|Cost Per Person * |
Auckland - Auckland
|Governor Suite (1 only ) 20sqm||$8,889||NA|
|Captain Cook (4 only) 10sqm||$8,187||$13,906|
|Endeavour (2 only) 10sqm||$8,187||$13,906|
|Bunk Room (1 only) 10sqm||$7,428||$12,388|
*This is a cash or cheque price. Credit cards will incur a 2% fee
*Itinerary and costs subject to change, airline and fuel charges and currency fluctuations prior to final payment
• Travel Insurance –Please ask us for a quote
• Items of a personal nature
• A non-refundable deposit of $1,000 per person will secure a place on this tour
• Full payment is due no later than 24 September 2021
• Bookings made after 24 September 2021 will require full payment
• Deposit – non refundable
• After 24 September 2021 – no refund
• All cancellation charges are on a per-person basis
We strongly advise all participants take out suitable travel Insurance to cover cancellation costs. Please ask for a quote.
Launched in 2016, the 24 m, three deck catamaran has a high quality fit-out. The Fiordland Jewel was designed and built by the owner and skipper Rob Swale
• Max 18 passengers
• Latest safety equipment
• Open bridge policy
• No laundry on board
• Helicopeter pad
• Top deck hot tub
• ROV (Remote Operating Vehicle) for underwater viewing from the comfort of the boat lounge.
• A stabi-craft to transfer from boat to shore.
• The skipper and crew are all trained professionals with an intimate knowledge of the region.
• A well provisioned galley – chef cooked meals
• Meals are plated service
• Morning afternoon and pre dinner snacks are provided
• There is a well-stocked, licensed bar, the Fiordland Jewel is not licensed for BYO.
• There are natural history books available
• Board games and playing cards are also on board.
To ensure the tour is enjoyable for you, a reasonable standard of fitness and mobility is required, as climbing on and off the various boats and the helicopter can be demanding. Also walking on shore is in gumboots or hiking boots and on muddy tracks.
• Please note there is NO cell phone coverage during the cruise
• It is required that you bring hiking boots or gumboots which are ideal for stomping around the beaches and bush
• Slippers / house shoes are ideal on-board
Note: Pukekohe Travel reserves the right to correct errors and omissions on our website without recourse.
* Itinerary subject to change